The Salvation Army Continues to Provide Aid to Families Impacted by Wildfires in Central Washington
SEATTLE – The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services team has been working in Central Washington and the areas devastated by the wildfires. According to the Associated Press, the cost of fighting this season’s wildfires has crossed the $50 million mark. This figure does not include loss of property and damage to infrastructure.
The number of homes destroyed has increased to 330. Plus, a threat remains for approximately 3,000 nearby homes and commercial structures. (Source: The Northwest Interagency Coordination Center)
The Salvation Army is working in the area to provide immediate relief now, and will stay in the area for as long as needed. We will work with the community until it is restored, which may take years.
- Tangible items donated during the past weeks have been delivered to Pateros, WA, for distribution (seven truck loads). Families impacted by wildfires can receive items. Please visit The Salvation Army Wenatchee Family Services Office (1205 S. Columbia Street, 98801).
- Food and shelter are currently being provided by other agencies. The Salvation Army is on standby to assist when other agency resources run out.
- Our service unit in Twisp, WA, is writing vouchers for gasoline, prescriptions, and other needs. We have given about $500 thusfar.
- Our service unit in Chelan, WA, is also writing vouchers for gasoline.
- We began distributing tents on 7-31-14, as hotel availability is limited and shelters will eventually close.
How to Help
The most critical need right now is for monetary donations. There are three ways to contribute to The Salvation Army relief and restoration efforts for the Central Washington wildfires:
- By phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY – designate gift for ‘Central WA Wildfires’
- On-line at: www.SalvationArmyNW.org – designate gift for ‘Central WA Wildfires’
- By mail: Send a check, marked ‘Central WA Wildfires’ to The Salvation Army, Northwest Divisional Headquarters, 111 Queen Anne Avenue N #300, Seattle, WA, 98109
The best way to help during any disaster, large or small, is often to make a financial contribution. Cash donations allow disaster responders to immediately meet the specific needs of disaster survivors without incurring many of the costs associated with sorting, packing, transporting and distributing donated goods. Salvation Army disaster services are funded entirely by donors, and The Salvation Army uses 100% of all disaster donations in support of disaster relief operations.
A suggestion for donations is gift cards that can be distributed to families in need. Gift cards to local stores help stimulate the local economy. Suggested vendors are home improvement and hardware stores (Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc) and grocery and clothing stores (Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer, etc). Gift cards can be delivered to The Salvation Army Wenatchee Family Services Office (1205 S. Columbia Street, 98801).