61st Annual National Salvation Army Week
The Salvation Army is celebrating National Salvation Army Week in a variety of ways this week across the country. For events near you, visit www.SalvationArmyUSA.org to find a list of locations.
Here are just a few events taking place in the Western US. Click on the links to learn more or to show your support.
- Saturday, May 11: Transformed Treasures Fundraiser Auction – 100 Artists have transformed donations from Anchorage area Family Stores to create unique pieces, everything from wearable art to furniture.
- Thursday, May 16: Elected officials tour & thank you luncheon - Inviting all Alaska legislators and Anchorage elected officials to join us for a half day tour of our Salvation Army programs, ending with a lunch event.
- Saturday, May 18: Municipality of Anchorage Fire Department Open House – The Salvation Army’s mobile kitchen will be on display, teaming up with the Anchorage Fire Department to help cook and serve breakfast for the event, followed by an all-day BBQ!
- Tuesday, May 14th: $10 Bag Sale — For National Salvation Army Week, the Homer, AK Family Store will be having a $10.00 bag sale during store hours, and free hot dogs from the hours of 12:00-2:00 pm for the community.
- Saturday, May 18th: Sunbeams will be doing a “change 4 change” campaign by collecting coins throughout the week to benefit The Salvation Army’s services and ministry in Angoon.
- Men’s Ministry breakfast open to all men in the community.
- An inaugural neighborhood block party will take place on Sunday May 19th at 4:00 p.m..
- Thursday, May 16: Annual Golf Classic –2nd Annual Invitational Golf Classic, with proceeds benefitting Salvation Army youth, camps and programs.
- Sunday, May 19: Salvation Army Day with the Fresno Grizzlies – The Grizzlies are the Triple-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. In addition to the tickets we have pre-sold as a fundraiser, the Grizzlies will donate $1 of every walk-up ticket sold that day to The Salvation Army.
- Wednesday, May 15: Salvation Army Emergency Response Teams will participate inGolden Guardian 2013: A San Francisco Bay Area-wide Earthquake exercise. The Salvation Army will work with state and federal agencies, non-governmental organizations and private sector partners during this effort, which helps test San Francisco’s Earthquake Readiness Response and Operations Plan. Specifically, The Salvation Army will deploy its mobile feeding units (Canteens) and help lead a simulated mass-feeding exercise to serve the more vulnerable, low-income neighborhoods of San Francisco. More info at:www.calema.ca.gov/trainingandexercises/pages/exercises.aspx
Modesto Red Shield Center:
- May 15 – 11:30am: Fiesta Luncheon: Kick-off for the annual “Kid’s Day” fundraiserfor the following week. Volunteers throughout the city will be invited to the center to see what we do, have lunch and get geared up for the event on the 21st.
- Thursday, May 16 – 3:00pm: Open house and tutoring volunteer recognition event. There will tours of the facility and a special presentation of appreciation to volunteers that help throughout the year.
- Monday, May 13: 8th Annual Century 21 M&M and Associates Charity Golf Classic.
- Friday, May 17: 3rd Annual Social Service Information Fair: Come learn more about the many helpful service programs available in Turlock. 10-15 agencies/vendors are on hand with program information. Participants are given a card to collect stamps from different vendors. Once the card is full, the participant will go home with a free bag of groceries.
- Tuesday, May 14: Bikes for Kids partnership with NBC7 — Presenting ten bikes at Casillas Elementary on Tuesday, May 14 at 9:00 am (coverage by NBC7 and morning traffic/w anchor Whitney Southwick)
- Thursday, May 16: IDTMG Award – Presented by The Salvation Army Metropolitan Advisory Board, San Diego Chargers and ABC10 anchor Bill Griffith at 6:00 pm on Thursday, May 16, when the Chargers serve dinner downtown to the homeless at The Salvation Army Centre City Corps.
- Family Thrift stores across Hawaii will be offering a one-day sale to thank the public for its support. ARC thrift stores in Honolulu will offer as much as 50% discount on all items in all of its Honolulu stores. Legislators will be invited to an Open House at The Salvation Army Family Treatment Services. This will give them an opportunity to learn more about how this program is changing the lives of women addicted to drugs.